Re: libapache-mod-perl / woody

robt@aya.yale.edu wrote:
>Recently I switched from potato to woody (modified sources.list and did
>a dist-upgrade).  I'd been using the combination of the apache and
>libapache-mod-perl packages successfully under potato.
>I am by no means an expert, but it looks to me as though
>libapache-mod-perl hasn't been updated to woody, specifically that it
>wasnt build using perl 5.6.  When I start apache, I get an error when it
>loads my mod_perl startup.pl, and the @INC that's displayed contains all
>sorts of 5.005 paths, and not, eg /usr/share/perl/5.6.0.

Yeah, there's a fix in unstable, but it hasn't made it into
woody/testing yet. As far as I can tell, it's waiting for a
release-critical bug to be fixed (which is actually a bug about this
same topic on the version in testing, so is probably blocking itself
from being fixed ... grr).

>Second question: I decided to be brave: I removed libapache-mod-perl and
>    apt-get --build source libapache-mod-perl
>This seemed to work but it installed stuff under ./debian/tmp rather
>than the usual system locations.  I then moved mod_perl.so to
>...apache/1.3/ and did a make perl_install to put stuff in the right
>place.  Clearly this isn't the way it's supposed to be done! :-)

It'll install things into debian/tmp (often debian/<package-name>,
depending on the package), and then build a .deb out of that. This is
pretty much the standard way Debian packages are built. You should find
the .deb in the directory just above the unpacked source tree ...