CDRW Mystery Error

Greetings,
	Okay, so I've finally gotten around to setting up my ancient ide CDRW under
linux.  First, I RTFM <CD-Writing-HOWTO>, and I make sure that I have scsi
emulation at least in modular form for my (custom) kernel.  I update my
lilo.conf, run lilo, modify my /etc/modules, run update-modules, and reboot.
Then... I have problems.
	It seems that there is something awry at the circle-k, because I get a
nasty load of errors.  Further, everything is just hunky-dory until I load
ide-scsi.o, which is when the errors start.  To restate the situation, if I
comment out ide-scsi in my /etc/modules, everything loads up fine, but I
have nothing in the way of scsi devices.
	Also, after the plethora of errors, I do get an entry in /proc/scsi/scsi,
but I can't seem to use it.  Following is a buffet of information about my
system.  So, what do I do?  Help?  Anyone?

TIA,

Brooks

devices:
hda: Maxtor 94610U6, ATA DISK drive
hdb: TOSHIBA DVD-ROM SD-M1102, ATAPI CDROM drive
hdc: Memorex CRW-1622, ATAPI CDROM drive
hdd: SyQuest SparQ, ATA DISK drive

/etc/lilo.conf:
boot=/dev/hda
default=Win2K
install=/boot/boot.b
map=/boot/map
prompt
timeout=50
lba32

image=/vmlinuz
	label = Debian
	root = /dev/hda5
	vga = normal
	read-only
	append="hdc=ide-scsi"

other=/dev/hda1
	label = Win2K

/etc/modules
# /etc/modules: kernel modules to load at boot time.
#
# This file should contain the names of kernel modules that are
# to be loaded at boot time, one per line.  Comments begin with
# a #, and everything on the line after them are ignored.
sb irq=5
loop
scsi_mod
ide-scsi
sg
sr_mod

/proc/scsi/scsi
Attached devices:
Host: scsi0 Channel: 00 Id: 00 Lun: 00
  Vendor: Memorex  Model: CRW-1622         Rev: D3.9
  Type:   CD-ROM                           ANSI SCSI revision: 02

uname -a
Linux cyberanarchy 2.2.18pre21 #1 Fri Mar 2 13:01:11 CST 2001 i686 unknown

partial error string:
scsi : aborting command due to timeout : pid 17, scsi0, channel 0, id 0,
lun 0 Test Unit Ready 00 00 00 00 00
hdc: lost interrupt
scsi : aborting command due to timeout : pid 18, scsi0, channel 0, id 0,
lun 0 Inquiry 00 00 00 24 00
hdc: lost interrupt
hdc: lost interrupt
scsi : aborting command due to timeout : pid 19, scsi0, channel 0, id 0,
lun 0 Mode Sense (10) 00 3f 00 00 00 00 00 08 00
hdc: lost interrupt
hdc: lost interrupt
scsi : aborting command due to timeout : pid 20, scsi0, channel 0, id 0,
lun 0 Test Unit Ready 00 00 00 00 00
hdc: lost interrupt
scsi : aborting command due to timeout : pid 21, scsi0, channel 0, id 0,
lun 0 Mode Sense (10) 00 2a 00 00 00 00 00 02 00
hdc: lost interrupt