Re: pyton & perl

On Fri, Mar 30, 2001 at 02:45:26PM +0200, Carel Fellinger wrote:
> On Fri, Mar 30, 2001 at 12:21:46AM -0500, Michael P. Soulier wrote:
>
> I know people don't like it, that's okee with me, but I don't see how this
> tie's your hands.

    Oh, I didn't say this one tied your hands, except for the fact that I find
it more difficult to make my code readable, because I can't just split lines
wherever it's logical to do so.

> Perl allows you to define a var and restrict its use to a single loop
> construct?  Indeed a nice feature.

    Yup, as does C, C++, Java...

> Personal preferences have a lot to do with what language suits you best.
> And indeed Perl and Python each offer their own set of pecularities that
> easily accounts for people prefering the own over the other.

    Certainly. However, I personally find that I like Perl for the same
reasons that I like Unix shells. The syntax might not be simple, or
easy-to-learn, but once you do you're far more productive even thought it
might cost readability for new people.

> Right you are!
> [on the other hand, if everybody was to use Python... ;]

    :)

    Mike

--
Michael P. Soulier <msoulier@storm.ca>
"With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine. However, this is not necessarily a