Log oddness

Has anything strange been happening in testing/woody's logging facilities

In the last week, one of my machines has two days where the archived syslog
is completely empty (not even a "--MARK--") and this morning I found a
warning that auth.log was smaller than it had been the last time it was
checked.  I'm inclined to think that someone managed to break into this
system, but first I want to check on whether there are any alternate
explanations which won't require me to wipe the drive and reinstall.

Linux will do for applications what the Internet did for networks.
    - IBM, "Peace, Love, and Linux"
Geek Code 3.1:  GCS d? s+: a- C++ UL++$ P++>+++ L+++>++++ E- W--(++) N+ o+
!K w---$ O M- V? PS+ PE Y+ PGP t 5++ X+ R++ tv b+ DI++++ D G e* h+ r y+