Installation problem for a new user

Hello,
     I tried to install Debian GNU/Linux v2.2, code named Potato; that was distributed with Networking Computing Magazine(Linux Special).
     I faced the following problems:

While installing, when the system tried to switch to Graphics mode, the screen went blank. The system hanged. Ctrl+Alt+Del didn't work. I had to reset the system.

1)I am not able to run any application including man, vi, wvdial, XF86setup etc. The error given is The file system is Read Only. Cannot create a temporary file. This problem is solved after re installing the O.S. again.
2)How do I get the information abt the Sound card on my machine? The article says, you should have this information. I am never asked abt that.
3)As per the article, the Debian Archive path is /instmnt. I never found any directory by that name. Infact I have to find it out. The directory was /dists/potato/main/disks-i386.
4)I can only boot from floppy disk. I cannot boot from Harddisk. When I hold down the Shift key at startup, I am not asked LILO boot. In fact some weird thing is asked MBR 1FA? I cannot type anything here. I have to press enter, which loads windows.

My system is:
PII 350
O.S. : win 98 and trying to install Linux on a 1.1 GB harddisk partition
Hard Disk : 8.4 GB (Total)
RAM : 64 MB
Graphics Card : Sis 6326 (8 MB)
Sound card : Yamaha 32 bit (I don't know anything else abt the card except this)
Monitor : Samtron 45Bn

X server just crashes!!!!
When I try configuring X server, I get many card options for my card(SiS 6326).How do I know which one is mine?

Regards,
    Nikhil

Get a free @mschumacher.com email address ---> http://www.mschumacher.com