Re: mp3 encoding

> I gather mp3 encoders aren't included in the official debian distribution?
>
> any tips on getting and installing lame (or something that'll work with
> abcde)?

There are no mp3 encoders in the official distribution probably because of legal issues. You can download lame from
ftp://lame.sourceforge.net/pub/lame/src/
but it does not appear to be prepared to build debian packages. Compilation should be easy. If you don't care about mp3 (what's abcde?) you can use the vorbis beta3 packages in potato, save some work and get at least the same sound quality and a free format. Or you can download the vorbis beta4 packages from www.vorbis.com and get even better sound quality.
There was a thread about this recently on this list.