Re: Linux Virus

hzi wrote:

> Hi-
>
> When you use wvdial, you read e-mail as root, don't you? Wvdial is probably the most common way to set up a ppp conection, since it's suggested in the Debian docuemtntaion.
>
> So I guess my question would be how to use wvdial and still remain safe from "virus".

  this does not make sense at all. you use wvdial as root to connect
(you don't have to, I guess, but let's assume you do), there's nothing
to prevent you to use that given connection to read email as different
user. notice that there are independent processes going on here:

  - network (you have to have a connection to whereever you get email
from)
  - getting of email
  - reading of email

  each of these can be done by different user and definitely by
different programs.

  your first sentence: no, there's no reason to read email as root when
you use wvdial.

  also, while wvdial might be suggested po & poff and its supporting
files are set up during configuration and for lot of users that's
enough... also gnome and kde have their own programs to start ppp so I
guess lot of people using gnome and kde use those. but that's not
realted much to the current discussion...

	erik