Re: Mail config for dial-up

Gudmundur Erlingsson,,, <g_erlingsson@yahoo.com> wrote:

> I have a dialup connection to the net, a mailbox at Yahoo (I'm
> a bit on the move) that I access using pop3 retreaval with
> Fetchmail, and since I really want to use Mutt (pretty sure
> it's safe to admit that in this crowd:-) I guess I have to use
> Exim as the smtp-server. I'm not sure, though, if this is the
> safest and best way to do this, and it seems a bit much to have
> a fullblown mailserver going on a laptop that's only connected
> 1-2 hours every day.
>
> So the question is: how are you (referring to more experienced
> users) doing it? Is exim the way to go, since it is already
> there, or is there some other, simpler solution? (remember that
> I *really* want to use Mutt:-)

I think you should just stay with exim; its default setup is to
be run from inetd and not in daemon mode so it doesn't take up
resources beyond what's already being used by inetd. Besides,
since you're using fetchmail you'll need an SMTP listener
anyway. It's really not worth the effort changing this setup on
a system like yours.

Regards,

Morten

--
"It usually takes me more than three weeks to prepare a good impromptu
 speech."                                                 (Mark Twain)