xfree86 and woody

What's the story with xfree86 and woody?  I don't see any debs for
xfree86 in that tree.  There are various .deb's in pool, but the most
recent ones don't seem to be associated with any dist, including
unstable.  I've tried searching the list archives on this, but the
search page keeps stalling on me.

I'm trying to convert to Debian from Red Hat.  I'm contemplating
installing Debian on a pool of workstations in a computer lab at the
university where I work.  The issue that's concerning me is that I need
to get an up-to-date desktop running.  I'd prefer to use Debian because
I like it's package management system better.  But if I have to kludge a
desktop, that kind of obviates the advantage.

The machines will all be new, so I expect xfree86-4.x will support the
hardware better.  Ivan's excellent KDE work appears to be geared to run
on 3.x, the stable potato version of xfree86.  I haven't checked out the
Gnome situation yet.

So let's see, what's my question?  ;)

Any advice?

-Ron-