Re: why does it use swap?

On Wed, Mar 28, 2001 at 02:14:51PM -0600, Dave Sherohman wrote:
> But you already answered the question...  If a page looks unlikely
> to be used in the near future and there's spare CPU and I/O bandwidth
> available, there's no reason not to swap it to cache.  If it's needed,
> the cost of restoring it from cached swap is approximately 0 (potentially
> on the order of only a few CPU cycles, depending on how this is organized)
> and if there's something better to do with the memory, the cache can be
> flushed similarly quickly.

Yeah, I kind of realized that as I was typing the message.  8^)  You
know how it work...once you're forced to try and explain something, you
work out the bits and pieces that you didn't totally understand before.
I guess I was just too lazy to continue to try and dump my stream of
consiousness kernel ramblings any more.

noah