Re: Mozilla M18-3 & HTTPS.

On Wed, Mar 28, 2001 at 04:56:59PM -0600, Kent West scribbled...
> Barry Mathieu wrote:
>
> > Hello,
> >
> > Am I correct in concluding it is not possible to use the mozilla package
> > that is currently in stable (M18-3) for conducting secure web
> > transactions?
> >
> > Each time I attempt to go to a secure server (https) I receive
> > a message something like "connection refused".
> >
> > Being a newbie, I would like to stay away from installing software
> > without a .deb file. I would also like to stay as strictly pure to
> > the Debian release as possible.
> >
> > If my existing conclusion is correct, then it appears I must use
> > something like Netscape, with the appropriate .deb install pkg, for
> > connecting to a secure server.
> >
> > Barry
> >

> IIRC (I no longer have that version so my menus are different), you can
> solve this problem by clicking within Mozilla on the Debug menu, and
> then "Install PSM" or somesuch. You may need to be running Mozilla as
> root in order to do this.
>
> Then again, I vaguely remember that this took you to the Mozilla site
> where you can now no longer download/install the PSM piece because they
> want you to download a newer version of Mozilla. I just don't remember
> for sure.

True. It's gone, they say that it's not needed, because it's included in
the latest builds.
But if you use
deb http://pandora.debian.org/~kitame/mozilla ./
in your sources.list, you can get version 0.8.0, which has security and is
pretty recent. And they'll probably have 0.8.1 there soon.