Re: cdrecord does not accept /dev output files?

On Wed, Mar 28, 2001 at 02:42:17PM -0600, Shawn Yarbrough wrote:
> Alson van der Meulen wrote:
> > cdrecord doesn't use the kernel cdrom driver, it uses a raw scsi
> > interface  (sg), so only specifying the cdrom device doesn't work :)
>

> Does cdrecord go straight to the hardware because the kernel CD-ROM
> drivers are read-only drivers?  If so then it seems that someday that
> read-write functionality might be moved out of cdrecord and into the
> kernel itself.
CD-rom drivers are read-only, that's a problem for UDF (packet
writing, directCD stuff) support

burning is quite different from normal writing, it's sequential
access, like a tapestreamer

it could be fixed by adding some 'scsi cd writer' ddevice to the
kernel, like /dev/srw0

then the kernel would handle the writing stuff instead of cdrecord,
and you could just use some character special to write

as long as there's no cd-r support in the kernel, you've to use
programs like cdrecord that use raw scsi commands

--
> Name:           Alson van der Meulen      <
> Personal:       alson@linuxfreak.nl       <
> School:       alson@gymnasiumleiden.nl    <
Tell me again what that '-r' option to rm does