Re: Which Kernel should I use????

On Tue, Mar 27, 2001 at 05:38:30PM -0500, Chris Hoover wrote:
:I'm looking for some help.  I need to install a new kernel on my nat machine, but I'm not sure which kernel to go for.  I must have a kernel that can run pppoe (for my adsl) and I also need to be able to nat vpn connections (I have a vpn client that I need to use to connect into work).
:
:What kernel should I use 2.2.x or 2.4.x (I know 2.2.x has a vpn patch, but what about pppoe.  Also, 2.4.x has pppoe, but what about vpn masq)?  Also, to accomplish this, will Ihave to add any additional patches?

To get vpn (free-swan) on either 2.2.x or 2.4.x you'll need to patch
the kernel source, though it's as painless as kernel patches come.

I'm running 2.4.2 with freeswan patches, using PPPoE and gatewaying a
NAT'ed  box or two.  Trying to do "vpn masq" is darned near impossible
(though not completely so) according to all the doc's I've seen.

If you can do a "gateway to gateway" connection, that's you're best
bet.  this would mean making you're local subnet an extention or your
work's IP range.  Though unless you're in an academic environment
*and* part of the IT staff, this probably isn't going to happen.

Heck, I fit the bill on both counts and haven't bothered to do it.
SSH is all the vpn I need most times, and usually I can tunnel what
ever else I need through it...

-Jon