Re: Time

stephen wrote:

> I'm having a heck of a time getting my system time set correctly.
> /etc/localtime is a symlink to the proper time zone.  I've looked in
> /etc/default/rcS and switched UTC from yes to no and back again.
> And, I've read the man page for hwclock a few times.  Still,
> my system time is always six hours off.  (For example, it's
> 8:22pm right now, but my computer thinks it's 2:20pm.)
>
> Anybody have any pointers on this?

You're in Central USA, aren't you? :)
... which means your timezone is GMT -6 hours!

This is no coincidence. When you installed you probably told it to set
your clock to GMT/UTC. When you do this, the hardware clock is set to
GMT and linux adds/subtracts the amount of time specified in your time
zone file for use as the system clock. That's why your clock is 6 hours
behind.

You can either:
1. leave UTC set to yes, set your clock to GMT/UTC
2. set UTC to no and set your clock to localtime

Option 1 is the best option if your system doesn't dual boot with
Windows. Otherwise use option 2.

Matthew