Re: SVGATextMode

On Tue, Mar 27, 2001, Karsten M. Self wrote:
> on Tue, Mar 27, 2001 at 01:36:50PM -0600, will trillich (will@serensoft.com) wrote:
> > i finally did
> >
> > 	apt-get install SVGATextMode
> >
> > and love it. (so far no smoke, no meltdown...)

Hi,

Sorry to interrupt this thread, but I've been looking for something
like SVGATextMode for a while (especially for laptop with 800x600),
spent some time examining (and trying to compile) framebuffer support,
without success, to get some of the benefits of SVGATextMode, and now
I'm really happy to have finally been alerted to it (that's one of the
reasons many of us read this list, after all, I'm sure).  Quick
question, though, and one I searched both debian list archives and
google before bothering the list:

I think I remember reading on these lists, some kind of security
issues regarding what I thought was SVGATextMode, but I can't think
why it would be really vulnerable (any more than a number of other
programs).  The only mention I found in archives was maybe some use of
'sprintf' instead of 'snprintf' in some places in code.  Am I thinking
of a different package completely???  Am I just crazy?  Thanks for any
information (as well as the intro to the package in the first place).

Thanks and take care,

Daniel

> > only problem i get is in mutt after a
> >
> > 	SVGATextMode 80x30x9
> >
> > (console mode, not within xwindows) where the secondary character
> > set (i.e.graphics) are munged about somehow...

<snip>

--
Daniel A. Freedman
Laboratory for Atomic and Solid State Physics