Re: reset: success

On Mon, Mar 26, 2001 at 08:11:00PM -0500, Chun Kit Edwin Lau wrote:
| I don't know if it is related to the problem. Sometimes when I try to
| upgrade debian using dselect. I got the forwarding error
|
| hda: timout waiting DMA
|
| ide_dmaproc: chipset support ide_dma_timeout func only 14
| hda: reset timed-out status 0x80
| hda: status timeout: status = 0x80 {Busy}
| endrequest: I/O error dev 03:03
|
| the message just repeat forever. and the system is sort of freeze until I
| try to turn it off and back on again.
| Ctl+Alt+del don't work
| reset botton does work but the computer doesn't recognize the harddisk
| after the reboot (only off and on work)
|
| anyone knows what's happening? I am using Maxtor harddisk

heh, I get nearly the same thing messages occasionally with my Maxtor
disk.  It is probably either the disk or my weak power supply.  The
last time I saw the message (2 nights ago) I decided to go ahead and
remove the zip drive and windows hd from my system (less load on power
supply).  Hopefully that will solve the problem.

How old is your disk?  Mine is ~ 1.5 years.  Someone else on the list
said that maxtor drives are bad and die early.  My dad has a maxtor
drive in his old 486 (Win95) and it has been there for over 2 years
without trouble.

-D