Re: Reverting package installation state

on Sun, Mar 25, 2001 at 10:23:31PM +0200, Felix E. Klee (felix.klee@inka.de) wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I accidentally hit the wrong keys in dselect (really one of the most
> user-hostile and dangerous programs that I know) and now half of my
> system is marked for uninstallation. Because I did not notice it at first
> I immediately hit Install, didn't read the information about which
> pacakges will be removed, but pressed ctrl-c quickly after seeing that
> the wrong packages were beeing removed. Now, I have two questions:
>
> 1. Where do I find a logfile which contains the last actions undertaken by
>    dselect (actually dpkg)?

No activity log of a session.  Prior session state is saved unver
/var/backups/dpkg.status.[0-9].gz

> 2. I want to turn off all removal reuquests in the package list. How can
>    this be accomplished (shift-r doesn't work anymore)?

Bail from dselect and do this manually through dpkg, values are 'hold',
'install', 'remove', and 'purge':

    $ dpkg --get-selections > file
    $ vi file # make your changes here
    $ dpkg --set-selections < file