Re: I want to StartX Manually

Andrew wrote:
 >Get rid of /etc/rc*/*xdm .
 >
 >Alternatively, edit /etc/init.d/xdm to avoid starting xdm.
 >
 >ap

Here's how I edited /etc/init.d/xdm to avoid auto-launch of xdm, the X
display manager:
24a25,29
>     echo -n "Start X display manager with: /etc/init.d/xdm sstart"
>     echo "."
>   ;;
>
>   sstart)

In other words, those lines are inserted immediately after the
"start)" pattern within the case statement.  Does two things:
 - renames "start" to "sstart"
 - causes "start" to simply print a message about using "sstart"

And a third side-effect is: At end of boot-up, those echoed messages
appear immediately above "login:" prompt where they are easy to notice
(why, because xdm is the last step in boot-up).  To summarize, with
that edit, starting X can be done one of two ways:

 - startx
 - /etc/init.d/xdm sstart

* * *