Re: problems in mounting cdrom

On Mon, Mar 26, 2001 at 02:26:14PM +0200, Patrizia Canton wrote:
> Hi,
> I am new to Debian and to Linux,
> after installing it, I mounted many times the cdrom
> with no problems. Today I tried to install apt
> and, when I was requested to select the install source for apt,
> I was not able to continue
> either giving /dev/cdrom or giving /cdrom.
> After that when I tried to mount
> mount /dev/cdrom /cdrom
> (which is the entry I have in /etc/fstab and
> that it worked till this morning)
> the prompt is always
> mount: /dev/cdrom is not a block device.
> What should I do?

Try "ls -l /dev/cdrom" to inspect for further problems:

23:00 $ ls -l /dev/cdrom
lrwxrwxrwx    1 root     root            4 Jul 18  2000 /dev/cdrom -> scd0
23:42 $ ls -l /dev/scd0
brw-rw----    2 root     cdrom     11,   0 Jul 16  2000 /dev/scd0

/dev/cdrom is usually a symbolic link to your real cdrom device.  If
your CD-ROM is the master drive on the second IDE cable, it might be
accessible as /dev/hdc.  So, I can do either

mount -t iso9660 /dev/cdrom /cdrom

or

mount -t iso9660 /dev/scd0  /cdrom

and get the same result.  To re-create the link, read "info ln".

Rob

--
Things are more like they used to be than they are now.