Re: Running X apps when logged as su'd as root

on Mon, Mar 26, 2001 at 03:56:42PM -0900, Ethan Benson (erbenson@alaska.net) wrote:
> On Mon, Mar 26, 2001 at 04:00:58PM -0800, Chris Majewski wrote:
> > Speaking of reasonable defaults, shouldn't this be one?
> > -chris
>
> no users should not run X programs as root.

I believe you mean one or more of:

   Users should not run X programs as root.
   No users should run X programs as root.

In general, I agree.  There are specific instances -- the graphical
printtool app comes to mind -- in which system configuration utilities
are available which _must_ be run as root to be effective.  One could
argue that this is a flaw of software design, but it's the way it is.

My rule of thumb is that I only *very* rarely run an X session as root
(usually while troubleshooting X), and run very few X apps as root.
None if I can help it.  But neither are hard and fast rules.