Re: [OT] running a PIII with no fan?

On Mon, 26 Mar 2001, Karsten M. Self wrote:

> on Mon, Mar 26, 2001 at 06:20:32PM -0500, Christopher Mosley (cmosley@voicenet.com) wrote:
> >

> > On Mon, 26 Mar 2001 idalton@ferret.phonewave.net wrote:
>
> <...>
>
> > This outfit did not sell "coolers" in the belief that the local
> > separation into hot and cold was energy intensive and in the long run
> > just created more heat inside the PC that would eventualy have to be
> > removed from the P.C via a fan.
>
> While this is generally true, several options mitigate:
>
>   - Coolers might be attached to an external heat exchanger.  Ambient
>     cooling from the box exterior is more feasible.

    This is not the situation to which I was referring.
    This is why I said "local separation of (into) hot and cold" (within the
    pc).  I was referring to a particular kind of product.

>   - As others have noted, significant fan noise is generated not from
>     the fan itself, but the sounding-board properties of the
>     motherboard and attached components.  Moving the fan location to a
>     more rigid portion of the case, and applying acoustical damping to
>     it, would probably result in an overall quieter design.

    The reason for the proximity of the fan to the heatsink and cpu is for
    an immediate cooling of the heat critical and sensitive cpu. In the
    particular heatsink fan combination I am speaking of, the noise is low,
    efficiency good, and removal of feet^3 per second is considerably
    better than the standard heat sink fan combo. It is a trade off, but
    I wonder how much noise (in normally operating cpu fan) can be attributed
    to the soundboard properties of the motherboard/components/sheet steel
    back. Just generally it seems far more likely that objectionable
    sounds  will arise from the power supply fan.

    I just this second found the name of the Co. that made the
    cpu heat sink fan combo and power supply fan I am using.  It is:

    PC POWER & COOLING INC.
    Hope they are still around and on the web.