sound in potato

I have installed debian in a box with yamaha opl3-sax card. In the same
box, I have RH6.2 also. With sndconfig, I installed modules for in both
boxes. In RH, sound works for root and user. In debian, it works for
root. As user when i try to access gmixer in debian, I get msg kernel is
not configured for sound where as sound works already for root and lsmod
shows all the necessary modules. How to make sound work for users.
--
L.V.Gandhi
MECON, 5th Floor, RTC Complex, Visakhapatnam AP 530020 INDIA