Re: Linux wannabe

On Mon, Mar 26, 2001 at 09:46:28PM +0000, Viktor Lakics wrote:
| On Sun, Mar 25, 2001 at 09:01:40PM -0500, D-Man wrote:
|
| I like grub too. But it's nor fair to compare an older version of
| lilo to a newcomer grub.

Maybe.  I tried lilo first when installing linux on the company
machine (RH6.2).

| FYI, recent lilo versions do NOT have the 1024 cylinder limit.

So I've heard.

| > One of the best things about grub is that you can configure it
| > when you boot.  It gives a nice menu and command-line interface.
| > Also it chainloads winows without any effort at all (unlike LILO).
|
| Lilo also gives you the same menu as grub. I have Mandrake 7.2 on my
| laptop, and lilo installed automatically with the same menu system
| as grub would do...

Not quite.  You have to first setup all the boot sequences, then it
can show you them.  You can't press "e" and get the edit menu to fix
an erroneous boot sequence.

| > I now have grub on my MBR and won't go back to use lilo.
|
| The only real advantage of grub over lilo, is that if you modify the
| grub menu config file, you do not have to reinstall grub on the MBR
| while lilo needs to be rerun.

In other words :  If you messed up with lilo, you have an unbootable
machine.  You need to then boot that unbootable machine inorder to
modify the config and rerun lilo and fix it's unbootability.  With
grub you simply correct your mistake and continue to boot the machine.
When it is booted you can make the correction to the config file.

In addition, I think it is possible to use grub without having linux
at all.  It can read several different partition types to get the
stage2 and menu.lst from so you could use Windows or some other system
to maintain the configuration (suppose someone wanted only DOS and
Windows on a system, dual booting).  Lilo requires Linux inorder to
run and read the config file and setup the MBR.

Also -- chainloading windows from lilo is difficult.  Ever read the docs
on linuxdoc.org and then try it?  I did.  Then I tried grub.  It took
me no time at all, with only the little documentation on the website
(and the sample menu.lst file).

Just my $0.02
-D