Re: Linux wannabe

(I have just figured out how to get the internet from my dial-up modem
so I'm a bit behind on the mail)

I have recently switched from RH to Debian.  I don't think the install
is unfriendly at all, though it doesn't have the pretty GTK graphics
of RH's.  apt-get is awesome.

I haven't seen anyone else mention bootloaders, so I will.  My
recommendation is to make a LILO boot disk when the installer asks you
to.  Don't install it on the MBR!  If it isn't configured right you
may not be able to boot windows (or debian).  I tried LILO myself, and
on my machine with my BIOS it didn't work.  When asked to add linux to
a win2k box at work I tried lilo first.  I couldn't get a lilo floppy
to dual-boot the system.  LILO would also have had trouble on the MBR
since the kernal was above the 1024 cylinder mark.  I had heard good
things about grub on this list so I decided to try it.  Piece of cake!
It works like a charm as well.  Not only thah, but I tried it on my PC
at home that lilo couldn't handle and it worked just as beautifully.

http://www.gnu.org/software/grub

Debian has a package for it, but it isn't in potato (current stable
release).  I installed it by getting a floppy and copying the binary
image provided on the web site.  Just print the manual, put the disk
in and reboot.

One of the best things about grub is that you can configure it when
you boot.  It gives a nice menu and command-line interface.  Also it
chainloads winows without any effort at all (unlike LILO).

I now have grub on my MBR and won't go back to use lilo.

-D