Re: deleting specific files

Please respond to list mail on-list.  Reply redirected to list.

on Mon, Mar 26, 2001 at 07:23:15PM -0300, Marcelo Chiapparini (chiappa@uerj.br) wrote:
> Karsten
>
> thank you very much for your illustrating answer!
> Now, I am new to linux and Debian, so I would like to understand more
> of your answer:

> <snip>
> > Several options:
> >   - Create a script.  This *is* my preferred method.
> >
> >      $ find . -type f -name \*.doc | sed -e '/.*/s//rm &/' > rmscript
> >      # Edit the script to make sure it's got The Right Stuff
> >      $ vi rmscript
> >      # run it
> >      $ chmod +x rmscript; ./rmscript
> >

> where is the script in your example above? (sorry, I knew this is a
> stupid question, but...). Of course the script's name is rmscript, but
> what's inside it?

Well, the easy answer is "run it and see".

Initially, the output from the find command, with 'rm ' prepended to the
start of each line.  After you edit it, whatever you've added or
removed.

Say I've got a directory tree:

    /tmp/foo
    `-- bar
	`-- baz

With the following files in it:

    /tmp/foo/bar/qux.doc
    /tmp/foo/bar.doc
    /tmp/foo/baz.doc

When I run the find command listed above, rmscript contains:

    rm /tmp/foo/bar/qux.doc
    rm /tmp/foo/bar.doc
    rm /tmp/foo/baz.doc

Supposing I wanted to keep 'qux.doc', I'd edit it out of the script
(delete the line).

How exactly you deal with the file is up to you.  While I've
programmatically created all the commands (in this simple instance), you
could also just dump in a raw list of filenames and use vi editing
commands to substitute and replace within the script.

> thank you for your patiente...

De nada.  (Sorry, I know that's Spanish and not Portuguese).