Re: hdc: timeout waiting for DMA

On Mon, Mar 26, 2001 at 02:09:13PM +1200, Lex McPhail wrote:
| What does the following message mean:
|
| hdc: timeout waiting for DMA
| hdc: irq timeout: status=0x58 { DriveReady SeekComplete DataRequest }

The drive is probably going bad, or you might just have a bad machine.
About a month and a half ago I got errors like this (then the ide bus
would reset it would try again, and again ..., and I couldn't do
anything but pull the plug).  I saved all my data, ran Maxtor's
diagnostic utilities (I have a Maxtor drive) and it said all was fine.
I reinstalled Debian, and last night got the errors again.  This time
I unplugged my zip drive, and the machine was ok.  My box only has a
110 watt power supply, so I think I was pushing it over its limit and
the hd really is fine.  If you have a similar situation with your box,
try removing disks you don't really use and see if the problem goes
away.  If it does, live without the disks or get a bigger power
supply.

HTH,
-D