Re: hdc: timeout waiting for DMA

Thus spake Lex McPhail (lex@ssiltd.co.nz):

> hdc: timeout waiting for DMA
> hdc: irq timeout: status=0x58 { DriveReady SeekComplete DataRequest }
>
> hdc is a QUANTIUM FIREBALL ST2.1A

It could be one of two things.

It could be caused by a buggy IDE controller (PIIX3 is one such example) that
advertises itself as a BM-DMA controller without fully supporting the
standard.

Try turning off DMA on all devices on that controller by using hdparm -d0
[device].

Another possibility is the hard disk is beginning to fail.  Are you getting
any other errors?  Do you hear any clicking, grinding, or harmonic noises
coming from the disk?  If so, throw the data to tape or a good hard disk and
replace it.  Even though I have had no problems with Quantum Fireball drives,
IDE drives in general are not exactly built in a quality fashion, if you hear
any odd noises or begin to get I/O errors, or bus resets, replace it
immediately.

--
 oneiros <oneiros@darkspire.net>    1024D/62C2F77D
 url: http://oneiros.darkspire.net/ EBB8 AF14 8C43 2F12 7623