Printing and some weirdness...

Hello, all.
	I have recently installed Debian Potato, I only have the 1st iso
image available.  My problem is that, due to the lack of automated
configuration tools (this is a good thing, BTW, it forces you to learn the
system, rather than the tools) I have not been able to configure my printer.

	Printing system is lpd, printer is an HP DeskJet 612C.  I have
absolutely NO idea what to put into the /etc/printcap file to allow this
printer to work.  The Debian user's guide refers briefly to a tool called
'magic-something-or-other' (I am at work, so not sitting in front of the
box), but it is not on disk 1, which is all I have.  Is there a tutorial or
HOW-TO which tells how to write a printcap file for this printer?   any help
would be appreciated.

Also, I encountered a very strange thing this weekend while installing
MatLab 5 (student version).  The installer script, install-lnx86.sh is in
the root directory of the CD-ROM, it's owner and group are root, and the
permissions are -r-xr-xr-x.  When I tried to run it from the CD-ROM, as
root, I got a permission denied error.  If I copied the script to /root, I
could run it, although it wouldn't work because all the paths are relative.
So I copied the entire CD-ROM to a directory that I made, /home/matlab, and
ran the install program from there.  Result... success, a working MatLab.
So my question is... what was causing root to get a permission denied error?
I was under the impression that there is NOTHING that root cannot do on a
GNU/Linux (or any Unix) system.  What is going on here?  In Mandrake and
RedHat, this did not happen, so what is different about Debian that would
cause this?

Thanks,
--Shannon