Re: X Broken After Upgrade

David Densmore wrote:

> I used Apt to upgrade from Slink to Potato, now X doesn't work.
> The X server will start, the background appears and the mouse cursor
> will move around the screen (running twm), but no xterm appears and

  well, that means that X works perfectly. what you're missing is a
window manager.

> the cursor menu won't appear when I press the mouse button.  So I can't
> do anything except move the cursor around a blank background and exit
> with CTRL-ALT-BACKSPACE.

  you can do a lot more. for example switch to another console and run
some X program with -display :0 and switch back to X.

> Does anyone know how I can fix this?  It worked fine before the upgrade
> and I had no problems when I upgraded from Hamm to Slink using Apt.

  you want some window manager, either install it using apt-get or nif
you already have some try:

  update-alternatives --config x-window-manager

  it will let you pick the one that would be a default one.

	erik