RE: Linux wannabe

>>I once interviewed with someone who said that "If you don't reboot
>>Windows 10 times a day you aren't working hard enough."  ...

Hmmm, an interesting comment.  I must not "work" at home or at work then!  I
have to take care of seven Win2K computers - two I use at home, three I use
at work, my son's desktop, and my laptop.  The one of the three office
machines goes back to the first betas and release candidates of Win2K.  In
18 months of operation I could count the number of BSODs or hangs from all
the machines on my fingers.

At any rate, back to the subject at hand.  What swayed me to go with Debian
was precisely the smooth maintenance and upgrades found in Debian that a few
of the others have commented on.  I am really just starting out, but a few
hours with apt-get were a *lot* more enjoyable than the few hours I spent
with RPM.

I have also found this reflector to be a "class act" in comparison to a
couple of the other Linux reflectors that I have since unsubscribed from.
Perhaps a bit boring if you're into heavy vitriol and M$ bashing, but more
good knowledge to be found and it seems friendlier to people just starting
out.

My personal advice for a newbie would be to use CDs!  You *will* install it
(or any distro) more than once and it's nice to start with a known quantity.
And if your computer case has the room and you have the extra money, a
separate disk can go a long way towards helping to avoid  mishaps!

Cheers,
-rick