Re: [OT] running a PIII with no fan?

Krzys Majewski wrote:

> Pentium CPU's generally come with fans,  so it's clearly  not a price
> issue..   I would  have thought  that at  least one  advantage  of not
> having a cpu fan is obvious, but if not, then feel free to view this
> as a strictly theoretical problem..

if you underclock it to maybe 300mhz and have a good heatsink on it
you *might* be able to do it. i had a server running a p2-300 for
about a year with no heatsink OR fan. the machine would lock up
if load got too high for more then 30-45mins. luckily  unless i
drove the load up manually the load was always 0.00 so it never
crashed once i figured that out. i didn't find out it had no
heatsink or fan till about a year later(the machine was in another
state). if the machine is heatsinked right(e.g. if its an embedded
system) you could probably get it up faster, i used to work
in a company where the casings of the computers were heatsinks
themselves, although we had never heatsinked the cpu to the
outer casing the thought did occur to us.

i don't know how it would act as a desktop though. i don't know
what your plans for this machine would be.

i think you'd probably be better off with a k6-2 chip or k6-3
they run much cooler. my k6-3 400 hovers at 19-20C, and i have
run a k6-2 up to 80C without crashing it(heatsink fan got
jammed on a machine..) of course 19-20C is including heatsink
and fan..but with just heatsink..maybe a bit of underclocking
(again to ~300mhz range) it should be ok.

id never personally run a cpu without a fan. i don't overclock
or underclock but i like my systems to run as cool as possible
(within reason-- im not going to do liquid cooling or anything
risky like that)

--
:::
ICQ: 75132336