Re: How to clear dselect list?

jennyw wrote:

> For some reason, when I run dselect and select I for install (without
> using S for select), I get a list of stuff I don't remember selecting
> (this happened shortly after I installed Ximian Gnome using apt, per
> Ximian's instructions).  Some of the files it says it's going to remove
> include task-helix-gnome, gnome-utils, and bunches of other gnome
> stuff.  Is there a way to clear dselect's list of stuff to do?  Is
> there a reason this happened?

The reason is the files will have changed (more recent versions) on the
Ximian archive. This happend quite frequently as improvements are made
to the components. If you want to stop this happening you can put the
offending items to 'hold' status (=) in dselect. Thus you are
continually upgrading :)

I'd assume you are working from a stable distribution where the files do
not change for the rest of your system, thus you do not see this effect
for the rest of you set-up.

Regards

RG