?!: 2.4 kernels, modules_install

Hi gang!

It seems the behavior of "make modules_install" has changed
radically with linux 2.4. Or is it just me?

Contrary to what I've become accustomed to, the 2.4.2 from
kernel.org seems to have put all its modules into
/lib/modules/2.4.2/kernel/..., in a directory tree that matches
that of the source. And it doesn't find them on booting. I could
"understand" this if "make modules_install" ended with an error,
but it didn't. So I tried a .deb of 2.4.0-test11, and same
thing.

Any ideas? May I add that I read the docs in the source package
and browsed the kernel.org list archives, and haven't found
anything about intended changes in this regard, so I guess
something's broken on my system, which is potato. All the 2.2.17
kernels I built on it worked fine, including some ISDN patches.
I'd like to use the ISDN drivers that are in the 2.4s, though,
since the back-ports to 2.2 are somewhat backlogged.

In anticipatory gratitude for all kinds of astute tips,

Tony

-- Tony Crawford
-- tc@crawfords.de
-- +49-3341-30 99 99