Re: Applying kernel patches

* Carlos Laviola (claviola@ajato.com.br) [010325 07:03]:

> On 24-Mar-2001 Nate Amsden wrote:
> > Hall Stevenson wrote:
> >>
> >> I apologize that this isn't directly Debian-related, but I know there
> >> are some people around who probably know the answer...
> >>
> >> I'm currently running kernel 2.4.2-ac20. I just downloaded the patch for
> >> 2.4.2-ac24. My question is, can I apply this patch against my current
> >> source tree (2.4.2-ac20) ??
> >>
> >> When I applied the ac20 patch, I did it against a 2.4.2 tree.
> >
> > i don't beleive so, you need to patch it against a plain 2.4.2. this is
> > (i imagine) so if you want patch ac24 you don't have to do 24 patches
> > to get to that level.
>
> patch -p1 -R < patch-2.4.2-ac20
> then
> patch -p1 < patch-2.4.2-ac24
>
> All ac patches are made against the vanilla kernel they refer to - that means
> that you have to unpatch the older ones in order to patch the vanilla kernel
> with new ones. BTW, following "ac" is 100% insane :)

Understand ... that's what I ended up doing since I saw that I still had
a tar.gz package of the "vanilla" 2.4.2 source.

As for following Alan Cox's patches, I've had no problems myself ;-)
Then again, this is just my home PC and I don't have any special
requirements with it. Ultimately, I'm hoping to solve the problem of not
being able to use console while X is running. With the stock MGA driver,
my console fonts are terribly "corrupt" -- very blocky and huge. With
Matrox's MGA driver (or is it the kernel's SVGA driver ??), the fonts
are very "square" and blue in color.

At this point, I've removed framebuffer support for the 2.4.2-ac24
kernel (but haven't rebooted yet to see what happens). And yes, I know
that framebuffer support is *experimental*.

Regards and thanks
Hall