can't install X after upgrade to debian 2.2

I am sure that other folks are experiencing the same problem.....

I am interested in installing X after upgrading to debian 2.2, but can seem
to run xf86config

get the message, command not found

startx don't work either, but I can even set up my xf86config file! so that
makes sense.

locate xf86config gave me:
/usr/X11R6/bin/xf86config-v3
/usr/X11R6/man/man1/xf86config-v3.1x.gz
only........

I have included a apt sources list as well as packages installed, hoping that
someone in cyberspace holds the answers...........

Thanks

-Nick

packages I HAVE:
xlib6g       4.0.2-7     pseudopackage providing X
xlibs        4.0.2-7    X Window System client
xserver-comm 4.0.2-7     files and utilities
xserver-comm-v3 3.3.6-32    files and utilities
xserver-svga 3.3.6-32
plus kde and gnome stuff

can't install xf86setup, due to xlib6g 4 being already installed