nvidia tnt2 drivers and Xfree 24bit true color

using debian 2r2 with the standard distribution
of xfree86
i have a graphics card based on tnt2.
i downloaded the drivers from nvidias website,
configured x11. when i execute i get an error
message saying "invalid symbol" in libglx.
i suppose that it does not load the module.
and consequently X dies with "driver nvidia not
found".

do i have to download X4?
knowing that i do not need the opengl capabilities
of my card (for the moment). i only need to have true
colors (24bits) in my X. and the XF_SVGA server does
not handle this depth for nvidia cards (or am i wrong).
is there any way for me to have my true colors?

thanks for your help.