Re: Pool administration

In M G Berberich's email, 22-03-2001:
> Hello,
>
> are there any tools/hints/recommendationshow to adminstrate a pool of
> debian-systems.
>
> At the moment we have connected stand-alone-systems sharing some
> resources via nfs and nis. From a users view this is O.K. but from
> administrators view it is not. Package-installations/upgrades and
> configuration has to be done on every machine.
> I'm thinking about
>
> - automatic installation/upgrades of packages on _all_ machines.
>   without the need to ssh into every machine by hand.
> - centralised configuration (nfs-mounted config-files, ...)
>
> I had a look at cfengine but does not like it very much.
>
> 	MfG
> 	bmg

Hi!

I administrate ~70 machines on the campus here, currently using SSH
with rsa keys from a secured computer that all the lab machines
trust.  This works out quite nicely, but my only problem is
configuration (debconf and otherwise)..  with just plain text
conf-files, I have a simple bash script that copies the common config
file via scp to the lab machines.   Debconf isn't so easy.  My current
setup is to use a bash script to download and configure and install
the packages with forwarded xterms from each machine.  This is a
little tedious, but alot better than when I need to update the NT side
of things (all of these machines are dual-boot to NT, unfortunately).

The most recent incarnation of debconf seems like it is my godsend
however.. It has many backends, to use a separate file or a ldap
database or sql database or whatever.  This is a *very* cool solution
for the same debconf answers for many machines, and I am glad for it.
Now I just need to figure out how to use it in my labs. :P

Anyway - that's what I do, I use SSH with RSA keys (no passphrase,
it's useless anyway, as I would have to either a) type it in 70 times
or b) keep it in another script, which makes it a moot point). It's
alot easier than our RedHat variant a couple years ago, which
practically never got updated software.

Mike Janssen
CNS Lab Admin
University of Northern Iowa