Re: coexistence with Windows 2000

> There is no particular order for installing any windows / linux config.
BUT
> ... (taratatata)
> If you install Linux first and have installed LILO into the MBR (i believe
> any) windows installation later on will simply clear the MBR so you'll be
> unable to boot into Linux but you system will default boot into Windows.
>
> ---> Keep a Boot diskette handy (AND working) at all time to resolve this
:
> remove LiLo and reinstall LiLo
>
> With windows 2000 (NT is friendlier) things get more complicated since
these
> versions use their own bootloader and it's a pest. I had to install
windows
> 2000 and configure a third-party bootmanager to be able to still boot into
> Linux (powerquest to the rescue). Lilo and the win2k bootloader decided to
> bit each others tails and there was no easy way to solve this (i mean a 30
> second solution). I KNOW there are ways to multi-boot win2k and linux
easily
> but it's a mess to set this up since win2k is a bootloader fascist by
nature
> and yes this evolution (hint win98 was quite 'natural'). I guess that if
you
> use the win2k bootloader to boot the linux /boot or / partition (depends
on
> your setup) you'll be happy ever after but i'm not very confident it will
be
> an easy thing to do.

Actually, I got Windows 2000 and Lilo working together without problems,
much to my surprise.  I had win2k installed first and then added Debian
afterwards.  My install went like this:

1. Windows 2000 installed on /dev/hda
2. Installed Debian on a free partition.
3. Set up Lilo to allow boot from Debian or chain boot from /dev/hda. Told
Lilo to install itself on the master boot record.  If you are running Woody,
you can select your windows 2000 partition to be booted from as another OS.

Here's my lilo.conf:
---------------------
boot=/dev/hda
root=/dev/hda6                    # This is my linux root partition
install=/boot/boot-menu.b
map=/boot/map
menu-title="Lapdog"
prompt
timeout=50
vga=EXT
compact
lba32
read-only
image=/boot/vmlinuz-2.4.2    # This is my default boot: Linux
    label=2.4.2
other=/dev/hda1                # This is my Windows 2000 partition
    label="Windows 2000"
    table=/dev/hda

So now I can select in Lilo where I want to go, or not, today...

Have fun,
Chris