ppp configuration problem

I am having difficulty getting my modem to communicate correctly with my
ISP. The problem is that once connected I do not get a route or gateway that
allows access to the Internet. All pings return network unreachable errors.

The ppp0 interface shows appropriate local and remote IPs indicating correct
connection to the ISP.

The routing table is empty after the connection is negotiated - I am sure
this is the key to the problem. I have tried 'options' with settings of
proxarp on and off and also defaultroute on and off.

pppd is configured to start at boot time via the /etc/ppp/ppp_on_boot file.
I am able to dial using pon <provider> and disconnect via poff <provider>. I
must have missed something.

Does anybody have any suggestions?

John Davidson