Re: 1 linux box: 10 simultaneous telnet sessions

On Wed, Mar 21, 2001 at 07:47:44AM -0800, Jim Richardson wrote:

> Something to consider is setting up quotas and ulimits on the linux box
> to stop rogue programs from sucking up all the available resources. They
> are newbies, and it's awful easy to shoot yourself in the foot with perl
> (wanna see my scars? :)

have any documentation on how to set limits effectively?  from what i
can tell there is none and the only way to do it is very hit and
miss experimentation.

ive also noticed recently that ssh and/or pam_limits in potato is
somewhat broken, you have to set the per user process limit higher
then the average number of root owned processes running on the system
or else ssh refuses logins on account of `resource temporarily
unavailable' even on my slimed down firewall this is about 30 which is
much higher then i would prefer.

some of the limits you can set are ignored by the kernel anyway which
rather sucks.. (rss for one)

--
Ethan Benson
http://www.alaska.net/~erbenson/