1 linux box: 10 simultaneous telnet sessions

I'm planning on teaching a short intro to perl unit in our middle school.

I have one linux box running kernel 2.2.18pre21 on our windows NT 4.0 ethernet connected network of 9 machines. telnet version is 0.16-4potato.1
telnetd version is same

Is it feasible to have eight telnet sessions, one from each individual NT workstation, into the one linbox?

I think telnet is not the most elegant at timesharing with this type of load. I'm not sure if it is designed for this (clunky) application. Any tips on optimizing the setup for this scenario?

Three students have logged in simultaneously via telnet, so I think the basic setup is sound, but we haven't done much yet.