Re: OT: Best PDA?

On Wed, Mar 21, 2001 at 02:23:10PM +0100, Andre Berger wrote:
* Jonathan Gift <jgift@wanadoo.fr>, 20010321 12:20 +0100:
> I'm looking to make my debian more mobile by hooking up a PDA. Last I
> looked, the Palm OS dominated, only I didn't like learning its language.
> Is there anything else or is it worth learning after all? My primary
> use will be for making text notes. Or, let's say, adapting text notes
> made on the desktop and moved over.

I have a Palm and it's awesome with Linux, provided you get the right tools.
jpilot is very good, and the mail plugin works 95% (you have to manually
delete sent items).

As far as its "language" it's not hard (most people master it in 20
minutes), but if you really really don't like it, there are several
keyboards available, I use (and love) the GoType! from Landware, though the
Palm portable keyboard is full-size.  For editors, most agree that pedit is
second to none in power, and his companion LapTopHack allows quite a bit of
power to be available from the keyboard.

If you want full word-processing features (but less text-manipulation
features) WordSmith is very nice, and they have a Linux doc converter
(although closed source).  I'm on them to improve it -- they insist there is
no standard for Linux conduits (I've told them 'ever heard of libpisock?')

The third-party software availability for Palm machines is incredible, and
although the $10-15 shareware is common, freeware is just as common.  GPL
stuff is out there, and growing, but it's hard to break GPL into a whole new
platform, it seems.

--
Jonathan Markevich <jmarkevich@mad.scientist.com>
http://www.geocities.com/jmarkevich

Well, O.K.  I'll compromise with my principles because of EXISTENTIAL DESPAIR!