Re: reconciling/registering local customizations with dpkg/apt?

on Mon, Mar 19, 2001 at 09:14:30AM -0800, Krzys Majewski (majewski@cs.ubc.ca) wrote:
> Anyone  have a  good way  to  register local  customizations with  the
> Debian package mechanism?  For example, suppose file X  is provided by
> Debian  package Y.deb,  and I  patch X  to provide  some functionality
> local  to  my  domain. I  would  now  like  to  protect X  from  being
> completely   overwritten  by  subsequent,   possibly  non-interactive,
> updates of Y.deb. I could of course build my own Y-local.deb, but then
> I   wouldn't   be  able   to   benefit   from   updates  to   Debian's
> Y.deb. (Moreover, I  would then need some way  to resolve the conflict
> of ownership of X between Y and Y-local.)

To prevent updates to a single package:

    $ echo $package hold | dpkg --set-selections

To indicate functionality provided by a package you've built or modified
locally...um...ask someone else.  I've been shown this a half dozen
times and can never remember.

Even if you've held updates of package Y, you can unhold it or manually
retrieve updates at any time.

If you think your changes are significant and useful to others, you
might think about contributing them to the code maintainer.

If you're planning on maintaining an incompatible version of X, you
might think of creating your own deb, with appropriate dependencies (and
conflicts) to manage your system gracefully.