ip forwarding

What is the minimum I need to do to enable my gatway system to do NAT for my local lan? It is a fresh 2.2 install.

I'm reading the ipchains howto (among other things), so I can build a proper firewall, which is a steep learning curve for me. However, that is fine, because when I'm done I want to build a firewall that defaults to deny everything, except the (relatively few) things I want to allow. Anyway until I understand everything enough to write my own set of rules, I can let everthing go through. I have a DAT drive and use it regularly, so don't mind the potential security risk while I'm getting up to speed.

Thanks.