Re: requirements of cipe

On Thu, Mar 15, 2001 at 09:29:08AM +0000, Gavin Hamill wrote:
> On Wed, 14 Mar 2001, Nick wrote:
>
> > what kernel do I need?
> > Can I use 2.2.14 or 2.2.18
>
> I have tried a few times and never had any joy with this...
>
> So I had a hunt around and found 'vtun' instead, which does exactly the
> same thing, is more flexible and is quite straightforward to configure :)
>
> From 'apt-cache show vtun'
>
>  VTun requires the Universal TUN/TAP kernel module which can be found at
>  http://vtun.sourceforge.net/tun/index.html or in the 2.4 series linux
>  kernel.
>
> vtun includes compression and I saw roughly a 30% effective speed
> increase over a 128kbit line...

</lurk>

i tried cipe (waaay over my head) and vtun (never figured
out how to configure it) a few months ago -- all i could get to
work was 'ip tunnel ...'

is vtun documented well? or is 'ip tunnel' reasonably encrypted
with various modes (gre, for example)? any problems with 'ip'?

--
It is always hazardous to ask "Why?" in science, but it is often
interesting to do so just the same.

will@serensoft.com
http://newbieDoc.sourceforge.net/ -- we need your brain!