diald timeouts

That would be a question for debian-user, although there's implications
that debian-devel could develop a system wide policy for all "internet"
packages to look at /etc/dialtimeout or something like that.

One solution I used many years ago was to list my DNS server multiple times
in /etc/resolv.conf  That "multiplied" my timeouts until finally the DNS
timeout was longer than my typical delay to connect.  I don't know if that
method still works on anything newer than Debian 1.2 or so...

----- Forwarded by Vince Mulhollon/Brookfield/Norlight on 03/20/2001 03:40
PM -----

                    Cormac
                    <cormac@exegesis        To:     debian-devel@lists.debian.org
                    .org.uk>                cc:     (bcc: Vince Mulhollon/Brookfield/Norlight)
                    Sent by:                Fax to:
                    stephen@cormac.m        Subject:     diald timeouts
                    ac-art.org

                    03/20/2001 03:29
                    PM
                    Please respond
                    to cormac

Hi,

A quick question regarding diald.

I've recently setup diald on my home PC which
is fairly slow to dialup, to the point that
most apps (nslookup, lynx etc) timeout before the
connection is made.

Lynx for example starts guessing a few seconds
before the connection is fully established.

nslookup gives up just before the connection is
establishedd.

Is there any way I can set a global timeout for
any internet access program?

--
Cormac