Broken Debconf::Question on woody after -u upgrade

After performing an apt-get -u upgrade today, I have a broken debconf, which
is keeping me from configuring a number of packages. I haven't done an upgrade
for about three weeks.

Everything in the upgrade appeared to go normally until it started to install
debconf. I get the following error:

<snip>
Setting up debconf (0.2.80.17) ...
Can't locate object method "value" via package "Debconf::Question" at /usr/lib/perl5/Debian/DebConf/Config.pm line 76.
dpkg: error processing debconf (--configure):
 subprocess post-installation script returned error exit status 255
</snip>

Now I've looked and made sure that the Debian perl modules are there, I've
checked to see that they are intact and they are. The pass perl checks
ok.  I've tried replacing with debconf-tiny but cvs and a couple other
packages require debconf.

Any suggestions?

--
Corwin