Re: Can't rescue, read-only filesystem

Quoting Morgan Fletcher (morgan@hahaha.org):

> I used the rescue->root disks from 2.2 to mount my partitions. I tried
> using ae to uncomment the "alias net-pf-1 off" line, then touch
> modules.dep to be newer than modules.conf, but I still can't get past
> the basic problem of an endlessly-cycling error message on boot, right
> when init is launched it looks like:
>
> modprobe: modprobe: cannot create /var/log/ksymoops/20010320.log Read-only file system
>
> Over and over.
>
> The disk is fine, as I can mount its partitions from the instllation
> screen, traverse its structure, manipulate files. I just can't get
> linux (or LILO) to boot. I don't know what to do next. Any advice?

I'm not sure why this problem is a show-stopper. Several installation
kernels were built without the unix.o module which is kind of
unfortunate. But this normally is just a hiccup, e.g.

Linux version 2.2.15 (herbert@gondor) (gcc version 2.95.2 20000313 (Debian GNU/Linux)) #1 Tue Apr 25 17:13:48 EST 2000
INIT: version 2.78 booting
NET4: Unix domain sockets 1.0 for Linux NET4.0.
insmod: /lib/modules/2.2.15/misc/unix.o: cannot create /var/log/ksymoops/2000072
3232449.ksyms Read-only file system
Activating swap...
Adding Swap: 32220k swap-space (priority -1)
Checking root file system...
Parallelizing fsck version 1.18 (11-Nov-1999)
/dev/hda7: clean, 29337/106400 files, 86748/212680 blocks

This one was just the same:
Linux version 2.2.14 (herbert@gondor) (gcc version 2.95.2 19991103 (Debian GNU/Linux)) #1 Sun Jan 16 13:48:57 EST 2000

Perhaps the problem is that unix.o is found above, whereas it isn't
found in your /dev/hda3 because you built it in.

I guess you just need to copy a kernel like your hard disk one (which
contains unix.o as built-in) onto a (copy of a) rescue disk. It should
easily fit as installation kernels are so bloated. Then you can work
on fixing lilo.

Cheers,