Re: Can't rescue, read-only filesystem

"Oliver Elphick" <olly@lfix.co.uk> writes:
> The root partition is mounted read-only to start with.  You need to
> load a kernel module to finish booting, but it looks as though the
> rescue kernel doesn't match the modules on your hard disk.
>
> It looks as if you may have overwritten your kernel-image package.  The
> LI message means that lilo couldn't find the kernel where it is configured
> to look for it.
>
> If that is correct, the simplest way to deal with it is:
>
> Boot from the floppy:
>
>   boot: rescue root=/dev/hda3 init=/bin/sh
>
> This will put you straight into a shell, with no other utilities running.

Unfortunately, the same thing happens. It is as if the init=/bin/sh
argument is ignored. The rescue disk is from potato. My wife's laptop
doesn't have a floppy drive, so I can't even create a new one! Worse
still, I can't even use windows 2000's CD to "rescue" the MB, so I am
stuck with "LI" and can't boot either OS on the machine.

Argh.

I used the rescue->root disks from 2.2 to mount my partitions. I tried
using ae to uncomment the "alias net-pf-1 off" line, then touch
modules.dep to be newer than modules.conf, but I still can't get past
the basic problem of an endlessly-cycling error message on boot, right
when init is launched it looks like:

modprobe: modprobe: cannot create /var/log/ksymoops/20010320.log Read-only file system

Over and over.

The disk is fine, as I can mount its partitions from the instllation
screen, traverse its structure, manipulate files. I just can't get
linux (or LILO) to boot. I don't know what to do next. Any advice?

morgan