Re: New user missing his true-type fonts

on Tue, Mar 20, 2001 at 11:37:50PM +1100, Andrew Sione Taumoefolau (bepempire@optusnet.com.au) wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I'm a relatively new Debian user (I converted from Mandrake a month or two
> ago) and am having a lot of trouble getting true-type fonts working. I'm
> running a straight, recently upgraded (via ftp.au.debian.org) version of
> Potato, and the S3 X Server (3.something, whichever is distributed with
> Potato :). I've tried installing xfstt -- I apt-get installed it, everything
> seemed to go okay, I put some true-type fonts in its default directory and
> it ran and all, but to no avail; webpages that use Verdana, Georgia and all
> the other MS fonts still look awful.
>
> Help would be much appreciated. My current lack of ttf support is about the
> only thing keeping me from spending all of my time in Debian :).

OK, let's do this one bit at a time.

  - You're running XF86 v 3.3.x, I believe?
  - You *do* have xfstt installed.
  - You've created a truetypes font directory.

Questions:

  - Is xfstt in fact running?

      $ ps aux | grep [x]fstt

  - Have you added the line

      xset fp+ unix/:7101

    ...to /etc/X11/XF86Session?

  - Does your X session access these fonts?  You should see some of your
    TTF fonts listed.  If this is the case, then you *do* have your TTF
    fonts installed properly, but there's a problem with how they're
    being rendered.  If not, you're not getting your TTF fonts loaded
    properly.

Cheers.